- 8 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 heaped tablepoons soft margarine (4 ounces)
- 3 heaped tablespoons caster sugar (4 ounces)
- 1 pound peeled, cored and diced apples
- A little milk (if necessary)
- 1 large beaten egg
- Spoonful granulated sugar for garnishing
- Mum has made a note: ‘add 2 ounces mixed chopped nuts’ – this may have been her own preference rather than an essential
Grease and line 8″ (inch) cake tin. Sift flour and spice into bowl and rub in the margarine. Stir in caster sugar and chopped apples. Add beaten egg to make a spreading mixture. If it seems a little dry add some milk.
Turn into the tin and bake at 350ºF for 1 – 1 1/4 hours. Turn onto wire tray. Just before serving sprinkle the top with sugar.