Good way of using up left-over bread.
- 12 oz (ounces) stale bread
- 2 oz granulated sugar
- 4 oz sultanas
- 1 1b mincemeat (this is sweet – not minced/ground meat)
- 4 level teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 level tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 7 inch square cake tin, greased and lined at the base
Cut the bread into one inch pieces. Put in a bowl and add enough cold water to cover the bread. Leave to soak for at least an hour. Drain well and squeeze out all the water.
Put the bread in a mixing bowl and beat in the sugar. Mix in the sultanas, mincemeat and mixed spice.
Moderate oven. Gas mark 4 or 350ºF/ 180º C.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until golden. Cool slightly and remove from the tin, then sprinkle with granulated sugar. When cold, cut into squares. Can also serve warm with custard or cream.
Hector likes to live life on the edge!